Protocol No.: OCR15240
Sponsor Protocol No.: HeadStart4
Newly Diagnosed Children (Less than 10 Years Old) With Medulloblastoma and Other Central Nervous System Primitive Neuro-Ectodermal Tumors: Clinical and Molecular Risk-Tailored Intensive and Compressed Induction Chemotherapy Followed by Consolidation with Either Single-Cycle (Low Risk Patients) or Randomization (High Risk Patients) to either Single-Cycle or to Three Tandem Cycles of Marrow-Ablative Chemotherapy with Autologous Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell Rescue
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the effectiveness of tandem consolidation in patients with medulloblastoma or CNS embryonal tumors of the brain or spinal cord.
Age Group: Children
The 5 chemotherapy drugs used in the Induction part of treatment are vincristine, cisplatin, cyclophosphamide, etoposide and high-dose methotrexate.
Single Cycle Intensive Chemotherapy:
The three drugs to be used in this research study are thiotepa, etoposide and carboplatin. These drugs will be given over 6 days to help kill the cancer cells. After 72 hours from getting these drugs, previously collected and frozen blood cells will be thawed and returned through the venous catheter.
Tandem 3 Cycle Intensive Chemotherapy:
The 2 drugs to be used in this treatment are thiotepa and carboplatin. These drugs will be given over 2 days to help kill the cancer cells. After 72 hours from getting these drugs, previously collected and frozen blood cells will be thawed and returned through the venous catheter. A total of 3 cycles of this therapy will be administered, over the course of 12 weeks.
1. Patients 10 years of age at the time of definitive confirmatory eligible histologic or cytologic diagnosis of eligible CNS tumor (brain or spinal cord)
2. Patients may not have received irradiation or chemotherapy (except corticosteroids)
3. Have histologically proven diagnosis of medulloblastoma or CNS embryonal tumors of the brain or spinal cord
- Posterior fossa classic, desmoplastic or extensive nodular or anaplastic/large cell medulloblastoma with appropriate and sufficient tumor material (FFPE or snap frozen) for proposed assays: all stages, age less than 6 years at diagnosis
- Posterior fossa classic or anaplastic/large cell medulloblastoma with sufficient tumor material (FFPE or snap frozen) for proposed assays: clinically high-stage (neuraxis or extra-neural dissemination, M1-4), age greater than 6 years to less than 10 years at diagnosis
- Posterior fossa medulloblastoma, those 6 years of age and above at diagnosis, will only be eligible if they have evidence of neuraxis or extraneural dissemination. Patients 6 years of age and above with low-stage (standard-risk, M0) medulloblastoma will NOT be eligible for this study, irrespective of molecular subgroup and extend of local resection
5. CNS Embryonal Tumors: - Pineoblastoma, CNS neuroblastoma, CNS ganglioneuroblastoma, embryonal tumor with multi-layered rosettes (ETMR, including embryonal tumor with abundant neuropil and true rosettes (ETANTR), ependymoblastoma and ETMR not otherwise specified), medulloepithelioma, CNS embryonal tumor with rhabdoid features (INI1 intact) and CNS embryonal tumor, not otherwise specified.
6. Must commence Induction chemotherapy within 28 days of the most recent definitive surgical procedure and within 21 days of the most recent neuro-imaging studies (MRI of brain, performed with and without gadolinium contrast, and MRI of total spine, performed with gadolinium contrast) and lumbar CSF cytological examination
7. Patients must have adequate organ functions at the time of registration:
- Liver: bilirubin less than 1.5 mg/dL (except for patients with Gilbert's Syndrome of indirect hyperbilirubinemia) and transaminases [SGPT or ALT, and SGOT or AST] less than 2.5 (two and a half) times the upper limits of institutional normal.
- Renal: Creatinine clearance and/or glomerular filtration rate (GFR) greater than or equal to 60 mL/min/1.73m² within 21 days of protocol therapy.
- Bone Marrow Function:
- Peripheral absolute phagocyte count (APC) > 1000/ µL. APC = numbers of banded neutrophils + segmented neutrophils + metamyelocytes + monocytes + eosinophils Please note, if institution reports differential as a percentage, then APC = [percentage of banded neutrophils + segmented neutrophils+ metamyelocytes+monocytes+eosinophils] x total white cell count.
- Platelet Count > 100,000/µL (transfusion independent)
- Hemoglobin > 8 gm/dL (may have received RBC transfusions).
1. Patients older than 10 years of age at time of diagnosis
2. Following diagnoses are not eligible for study enrollment: CNS atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor (AT/RT); all ependymomas including anaplastic ependymomas of the brain or spinal cord; all choroid plexus carcinomas; all high-grade glial and glio-neuronal tumors; all primary CNS germ cell tumors; all primary CNS sarcomas; all primary or metastatic CNS lymphomas and solid leukemic lesions (i.e., chloromas, granulocytic sarcomas).
3. Patients with unbiopsied diffuse intrinsic pontine tumors will NOT be eligible for this study.
Applicable Disease Sites
Brain and Nervous System
Pediatric (Childhood) Cancer
UF Gainesville : Jennifer King
Jennifer King, RN, CRC
Phone: +1 352-294-8374