One of the great benefits of receiving cancer care at an academic health center like UF&Shands is patient access to advanced medical treatment and the latest in research. As an academic health center, our clincian-scientists participate in cutting-edge research and clinical trials. Clinical trials are research studies that allow advances in medicine, identify new treatments and ensure safe and effective care for patients.
Patients who are considering participation in clinical research trials are encouraged to review the following information:
- What is a clinical trial?
- What is a research team?
- What is a protocol?
- What protections are in place for people who participate in clinical trials?
- What is informed consent?
- Who can participate in a clinical trial?
- What do I need to know if I am thinking about participating?
- Where can I find a clinical trial?
- Where can I learn more about clinical trials?