The UF Health Cancer Center is seeking applications for the UFHCC Predoctoral Awards, awarded annually to up to five graduate students. These awards are intended to recognize and support outstanding predoctoral candidates who are conducting innovative cancer research.
The award allots a total of $10,000 to the recipient for a one-year period: $8,000 for lab supplies and $2,000 for equipment/computer and travel expenses for the student.
- Applicants must have passed the Ph.D. qualifying exam within the last 18 months
- Applicant’s mentor must be a member of the UF Health Cancer Center and hold cancer-focused extramural funding
- Applicants must be in a UF graduate program with a project clearly focused on cancer
Applications are due by Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 5 p.m.
A committee of Cancer Center faculty will select the award winners. The awardees will be announced in November 2019. Awardees will be asked to give a three-minute thesis presentation at our next research day in Spring 2020. Please email any questions to Education@cancer.ufl.edu.
To apply, applicants are required to submit the following:
- Curriculum vitae/résumé
- UF graduate school transcript (unofficial transcript is sufficient)
- Research Project Title, Ph.D. qualifying exam proposal and qualifying exam chair summary
- Essay (one page maximum) should cover the following:
- Summary of how applicant became involved in cancer research as well as future plans
- Synopsis of applicant’s thesis work
- Significance, impact and relevance of applicant’s work to cancer
- Letter of support from mentor (this may be emailed separately by mentor)
- Mentor’s NIH biosketch, including research support (this may be emailed separately by mentor)