Release Date: 12/8/2021
Letter of Intent (Required): 1/15/2022
Full Application Due: 2/15/2022
University of Florida Health Cancer Center American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant Pilot Application Instructions
Background & Purpose
Through Institutional Research Grant #21-139-01-IRG from the American Cancer Society, the UFHCC is providing funding for early stage investigators for cancer-related basic, pre-clinical, and population-based research studies.
Applications should address at least one of the American Cancer Society’s six research priorities below:
- Etiology (causes of cancer)
- Obesity/Healthy Eating and Active Living (HEAL)
- Screening and Diagnosis
- Health Equity Across the Cancer Continuum
Applications should also provide a potential impact on the burden of cancer in the UFHCC catchment area. The UFHCC Catchment Area Profile Report can be accessed HERE.
Who can apply?
IRG pilot project grants are intended to support independent, self-directed investigators early in their careers, with research facilities, resources, and space customary for an independent investigator.
- Be a UF eligible principal investigator and eligible to apply for independent, national, competitive research grants.
- Be within six (6) years of their first independent research or faculty appointment
- NOT hold an NIH R01 or R01 equivalent grant (defined as activity codes DP1, DP2, DP5, R01, R37, R56, RF1, RL1, U01, or R35).
- Senior investigators and postdoctoral fellows are not permitted.
What is the application process?
1. A required letter of intent to submit an application is due by 1/15/2022. The LOI is submitted via Microsoft Forms at the link HERE. The LOI form requests the following information
a. PI Name and Department
b. Project title
c. Involvement of human subjects or vertebrate animals
d. ACS research priority
e. Brief abstract
f. Any areas of scientific expertise needed to review the application
2. The Full Application will also be submitted electronically via Microsoft Forms. The link to the template will be provided upon submission of the letter of intent. Full Applications must be submitted by 2/15/2022. While we encourage engaging your home department research administrators in the preparation and submission of PESP applications, these proposals do not need to be routed through UFIRST and are to be directly submitted to UFHCC Research Administration via Microsoft Forms.
What are the budgetary allowances?
1. Up to four pilots of a maximum of $30,000 total in direct costs will be awarded. It is the expectation that all funds will be expended within the award year.
2. Budget and timeline appropriateness are a key basis for evaluation of the application.
When will applicants receive notification of award?
Notification of award and fund activation is anticipated by 4/1/2022. The distribution of awards is contingent upon approval of the project from the local Institutional Review Board (IRB) and/or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), as applicable. Applicants must ensure timely submission of IRB/IACUC approval and include the IRB/IACUC submission process in their timeline.
All publications shall acknowledge “Supported by Grant #21-139-01-IRG from the American Cancer Society” and must be in PMCID compliance.
Shared Resource Acknowledgement
All publications utilizing UFHCC Shared Resources shall acknowledge that “Support was provided by the University of Florida Health Cancer Center <INSERT SHARED RESOURCE>” and must be in PMCID compliance.
Please direct any questions about the application process or budget requirements to Eric Miller (352.273.7761 or firstname.lastname@example.org)