The UF Health Cancer Center (UFHCC) Research Development unit offers two levels of support in preparation and review of grants and manuscripts:
- Virtual 2-hour clinics. Available to all UFHCC members conducting cancer-relevant research on a first-come, first-served basis, these clinics provide two hours of scientific writing support, which may include proofreading, style and format corrections or other revisions based on the material provided.
- Comprehensive research development support. Available to all UFHCC members conducting cancer-relevant research, prioritized based on current focus areas of the cancer center.
Editorial support is provided by a dedicated PhD-trained research development specialist with expertise in federal grant applications and scientific publishing. Clinical research projects will additionally engage staff from the Clinical Research Office (CRO) Project Management team for protocol development. Comprehensive support may include project management assistance to ensure timely preparation and submission of all materials, review and revision of all drafts, assistance with the figures and references.
Priority on Grant Support Services:
- Investigators working on the preparation of complex multi-PI peer-reviewed grants or seeking peer-review funding for investigator-initiated clinical trials receive first priority on services;
- Grant development support for catchment area-relevant cancer research receives second priority;
- Followed by all other applications in the order they are received
Grant support ensures the proposal fully addresses the RFA, funding agency requirements as well as UF policies and federal guidelines. RD staff members are able to serve as a secondary contact in communications with the funding agency officials and UF Office of Research if needed.
Priority on Research Manuscript Services:
- Investigators working on manuscripts that resulted from UFHCC investigator-initiated clinical trials (IITs), UFHCC pilot projects, or those utilizing UFHCC shared resources receive first priority on services;
- Followed by all other manuscripts in the order they are received.
Manuscript support may involve close collaboration with investigator(s) and their teams in identifying best journals for their work, providing full review of all drafts and revisions, assisting with figures and references, ensuring all journal requirements are met. Manuscript services are provided free of charge, but require acknowledgment of research development specialist. Research development staff members are also available to assist in communications with the editor, if necessary.
Research development follows strict rules to protect the confidentiality of all unpublished work, which includes manuscripts in preparation, grant applications, and protocols in development. Research development members may not share any materials with anyone without written consent from the PI.
We encourage all investigators to start with the virtual walk-in clinic to learn how we can best assist you.
To request Research Development services, please fill out the grant support form.