The UF Health Cancer Center’s Power Over Prostate Cancer Gathering drew a packed crowd of about 200 Black men, family members and other members of the Gainesville community on Saturday, Feb. 11 at Springhill Church. The gathering included presentations on prostate cancer prevention and new treatments by UF Health oncologists Thomas Stringer, M.D., and William Mendenhall, M.D., FACR. It also provided the opportunity for attendees to discuss the impact of prostate cancer in small group discussion sessions, ask questions during a panel session and get information about UF cancer research studies.
The gathering was presented by the Cancer Center’s Community-Partnered Cancer Disparities Research Collaborative (CDRC), the Cancer Center’s Office of Community Outreach and Engagement, and the UF Department of Urology.
Carolyn Tucker, Ph.D., director of the CDRC, the UF Florida Blue Endowed Chair in Health Disparities Research and a research professor in the UF department of psychology, organized the gathering with co-chairs Adrian S. Taylor, pastor of Springhill Church, and Ron Rawls, pastor of Greater Bethel AME Church. The CDRC consists of eight local Black churches and their community scientists and technology coordinators and a group of faculty members and administrators at the Cancer Center who are working as partners to help prevent and reduce cancers among Blacks living in or near East Gainesville.
The gathering was the second in the Cancer Center’s Power Over Cancer series, which aim to empower community members by providing high-quality health information and create a dialogue about the cancer prevention, care and research that occurs at or with the support of the center.
“Our goal here is to create equal opportunity for our community,” said Jonathan Licht, M.D., director of the Cancer Center. “Everyone should have access to high-quality health care, to knowledge, to power over their cancer. This is a team sport. Together, we will have power over cancer, power to make cancer history and power to make cancer something we live with; we don’t let live over us.”
“Everyone should have equal access to high-quality health care, to knowledge, to power over their cancer.”Jonathan Licht, M.D., Director, UF Health Cancer Center
Thank you to our program contributors
- Joseph Johnson, prostate cancer survivor
- Pastor George Dix, pastor, prostate cancer survivor
- Charles Cooper, prostate cancer survivor
- Cora Cooper, wife of prostate cancer survivor
- Elder Daniel Leviston, prostate cancer survivor
- Elder Guerian Fort
- Pastor Kenyarda Feathers, pastor
- Carolyn Tucker, Ph.D., clinical psychologist
- Alvin Lawrence, Ph.D., counseling psychologist
- William Mendenhall, M.D., radiation oncologist
- Thomas Stringer, M.D., urologist
- Elizabeth Kwenda, M.D., urology resident
- Jasmine Brown, PA-C, urology physician assistant
- Mitsu Andre, PA-C, urology advanced practice provider
- Staja Booker, Ph.D., R.N.
- Luisel Ricks-Santi, Ph.D.
- Lakeshia Cousin, Ph.D., APRN, AGPCNP-BC
- Pastor John D. Williams
- Pastor George Dix
- Rev. Dr. Marie Herring
- Dottington Fullwood, Ed.D.
- Alvin Lawrence, Ph.D.
- Theotis Callaway, M.Ed., M.S.
- Pastor Kevin Thorpe
- Apostle Willie King, Jr.
- Carolyn Tucker, Ph.D.
- Pastor Kenyarda Feathers
- Eric Cooks, Ph.D.
CDRC Foundation Churches
- Springhill Baptist Church
- Greater Bethel AME Church
- Faith Missionary Baptist Church
- Williams Temple Church of God in Christ
New CDRC Partner Churches
- PASSAGE Family Church
- Showers of Blessings
- Upper Room Church of God in Christ
- Dayspring Missionary Baptist Church
Gathering Planning Committee
- Leah Buletti
- Pastor Ron Rawls
- Robert Houlihan
- Pastor Adrian Taylor
- Carolyn M. Tucker, Ph.D.
- Elizabeth Shenkman, Ph.D.
- Thomas Stringer, M.D.
- Jennifer Woodard
Gathering Coordinating Committee
Chair: Liyah Courageux
Co-Chairs: Kirsten Klein, Juanita Miles Hamilton, Savannah Rose, Terence Stevens
CDRC Advisory Board
- Pastor Kevin Thorpe, Chair
- Matt Bowman
- Mel Toran
- Lana Johnson
- Lee Pinkoson
Research and Information Tables
UF Health CDRC’s Ongoing Studies – Carolyn Tucker, Ph.D. & Research Team
- Mental health and physical health promotion among Blacks; Cancer research contact registry for Blacks
Tobacco Cessation Resources & Research – SRAHEC (Tobacco Cessation) / Promote Up
- Tobacco cessation resources, research opportunities
Prostate Education – CaRE2 Contact Registry
- Prostate education, cancer research contact registry
Financial Navigation – SRAHEC
- Navigating medical costs, free or low-cost health insurance
Money Matters – UF COE/IFAS
- Personal finances, budgeting, taxes
Ongoing Studies – Janice Krieger, Ph.D.
- Technology, education, colorectal cancer screenings
Ongoing Studies – Lakeshia Cousin, Ph.D., APRN, AGPCNP-BC
- Gratitude, physical activity, Black cancer survivors
IMPACT – Star Booker, Ph.D., R.N.
- Arthritis pain and function
CONTINUITY – COE
- Linkage to primary care, cancer screenings, hypertension, diabetes
Community Education – COE
- Cancer screening, education